Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'll be a great programmer in 8 years

I'm a n00b at informatics and have only begun to dig into the practice in earnest. I have read that the lion's share of engineers in America are in computer-related fields, and it's a bit daunting to be just beginning. I suppose, then, it's good that I'm not in a hurry to become "elite", which is not something that comes in a hurry anyhow.

This is a log for any non-personal writing exigency. By non-personal, I mean relevant to my professional concerns, and not impersonal. I don't expect this to be read my many people other than my professors and myself.

I've been struggling just to edit my name into the directory on our Google group... not off to a great start! Not to worry: I have plenty of time. If I am to believe Peter Norvig, I should expect mastery of the craft to take another nine years (I began to code last year): Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years. Prof. Johnson hopes to take it down to 8 years, and after a year in his class, he will have done precisely so.

It's going to take a lot of patience on my part.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! Don't worry. Just do your best. One day, I shall return and tell you what it's like to be a software engineer, or you can just read my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I feel the same way. I think everyone does - even more experienced IT professionals. Just hang in there; there's no achieving expertise without a start.

    ReplyDelete