Monday, June 4, 2012
Pau Web App Engineering
Your humble servant just finished the final for Udacity's CS253: Web Application Engineering. It was a pleasure to be introduced to Python and the Google App Engine, and overall the course was a very good experience. UH lacks web-focused classes, so the burgeoning number of free online classes such as this are like a godsend.
The class covered the core aspects of web app engineering: web services, authentication, caching, databases and so on. I can build registration systems and database-driven websites, which is pretty neat-o.
There is much more to learn. There's always more to learn, though, isn't there? For the web, I am going to need to learn JavaScript and AJAX for things like building single-page services like Gmail. PHP is another must know, since it drives the ubiquitous WordPress CMS. Udacity is introducing five new classes. The statistics class caught my eye... When did I start liking mathematics? I'm not sure, but it turns out that I enjoy learning new mathy things now.
The new classes begin in a few weeks. Until then, I can take things a little easier, which will be good: I haven't slowed down much since the UH semester ended. I'll have time to get around to things that I've been meaning to do, like cleaning my house, making records, playing outside. Ah, sweet relief.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment