Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Makahiki Makes Making Fun Games Fun

In 691 last week, I was assigned to configure a game on the Makahiki framework. After installing and deploying it to Heroku, the hard part was over, and I could begin to customize the game to KTUH's needs.

Thanks to the efforts of the CSDL, configuring Makahiki was a breeze. Only occasionally were there any snags in the process, which were minor and only my fault—in most cases, I'd left a required field blank. Administering the game also was quite easy. Of course, it helps that I only had a single gamer, who'd only played a small portion of an incomplete game.

Creating challenges, commitments, and events for the gamers is really fun. It's equally fun to make badges and prizes. Django's admin console lets the developers design a very pleasant administration experience. Really, there's nothing I can think of right now to improve Makahiki's Challenge Design and Challenge Management processes. Adding new mini-games would be fun, but that is another matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment