I attended a great talk from the OUDL. It was plenty helpful, not to mention oodles of fun. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
Here are Kyle's notes, from the first part, for the Git noob:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1u87Ns-Bm2R-uIRbd35L1bjZ6si57jqyXgWJZ3KqICDQ/edit
The second part of the meetup was more interesting, since I am somewhat familiar with Git by now. I had to leave slightly early, though, so I definitely missed some of the good stuff. Anyhow, the second part was a demonstration of different, and more advanced Git workflows, presented by several speakers. It seems like pretty much everyone, including the presenters, used the simple workflow in which individuals' work on their own checkouts of the original repo, merge their own contributions, and handle the other workflow issues sharing of info as a group happens in an ad hoc way, as the team and its individual members become habituated to Git. Or so one hopes.
Here are a few little tricks I learned from the talk.
1) You can alias commands. 'git status' becomes 'git st', 'checkout' becomes 'co', and so on. This page tells you how.
2) The '-b' flag after 'git checkout' will switch to that branch after checkout. ie. git checkout -b
3) 'git commit -a': Combines git add and git commit.
4) 'git add -i': Adds modified contents in the working tree interactively to the index. The interactive mode is quite cool IMHO. Optional path arguments may be supplied to limit operation to a subset of the working tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment