Friday, January 11, 2013

Reading the Official Python Tutorial, Yep



Because I rate myself as a lower-intermediate in Python, this was a useful assignment for me.  The instructions to type the examples into the interpreter (without cut-paste) helped me internalize what was presented.  I spent twice the 1-hour time assigned, and still only worked through five of the fourteen chapters.  What I did cover was quite helpful, though, and so I plan to read through it all as soon as possible.

Some of the interesting features of the language that I needed to review included:
  • 4.4-4.5. continue and pass Statements: New to me
  • 4.7.2. Keyword arguments:  I gained an understanding of how optional arguments work in Python.
  • 5.1.4. List comprehensions:  Concise, easy to read; I hope to become fluent with them.
  • 5.1.3. Functional Programming Tools: Lisp-like functions (filter, map, reduce) could be useful.
Obviously, I'm not doing anything groundbreaking with Python, yet, but here's looking forward to getting awesome at Python.  It looks like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment